Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo

So, I'm considering doing Nation Novel Writing Month for the first time. At other times in my life, I've been too busy. Now it seems that I need a way to keep busy. (Other than all that working out I'm doing)

I need opinions on ideas. I'm just not sure which novel I want to write, so any suggestions would be great. I have many ideas, but there are three that are prominent.

Idea #1
This idea explores the relationship between the captive and the captor, with some Stockholm Syndrome thrown into the mix. The only characters (thusfar) are two women: Lara, the captive; and Beatrice, the captor. As the novel/story unfolds, it depicts the deteriorating sanity of both women, and the ways their feelings toward one another are twisted. It will feature graphic SM-like torture scenes. I've considered adding a deaf maid to the story, so that some sort of outside "control" perspective will be present.

Idea #2
Epic fantasy piece. Marianthe Crevan, a brilliant student and fire sorceress wrongly accused of a crime, finds a surprising way out of her existence in the orphanage and reformatory of her native, icy land of Hevrildor. Upon the recommendation of one of her former professors, an ambassador to the warm, southern country of Aarollan, she is accepted to Harvington University, Aarollan's chief institution of higher education. She sets off to begin a new life, but the very man assigned to mentor her, the bitter and cynical Danatius Blair, seems to have no faith in her innocence or her abilities. His lack of support is made more apparent when, upon Marianthe's arrival in Aarollan's capital, a murder attempt makes it clear that her trouble may have followed her from Hevrildor. All the while, discord brews in the north eastern land of Vald'anger -- the restoration of an evil dictator, believed to have been long dead, to the seat of power. The threat of war encroaches upon the borders of Aarollan. Soon, Marianthe is tangled up in a plot that could destroy her life, the life of Dr. Blair, and perhaps even the stability of the world itself. With the help of several friends and allies -- Ulric Stanislaw, the air sorcerer and warrior; Professor Marciu, the ambassador and a powerful Zoemancer (opposite of necromancer. Lays improperly resurrected dead to rest and restores the worthy dead to full life); Helen Malek, a Seer and White Witch who walks constantly between death and life; and others -- Marianthe must find a way to preserve the balance between the Realms of Life, Death, Spirits, and Demons and save the lives of those she has come to love.

Possible first in a trilogy/series. This one involves intensive world building, cultural groups, and the establishment of a metaphysical religion and order to the universe. There are also some pretty detailed back stories to most of the characters, revelations of strange blood relations, and prophecies. I'm thinking it's going to be a brick of a book one day, if I can ever find the dedication. I don't know if a month is enough time, but it would be enough time to get this ball rolling.

Idea #3
Lucy lives a calm existence as a teacher in a boarding school, the same school in which she spent the majority of her youth. But memories from an event of her teenage years continue to plague her long into adulthood, memories of a pack of she-wolves that lived in the forest and of the Wolf Woman who was their leader. Sappho-erotic. Metaphor for something that was an important part of the formation of my identity.

As I write this blog, I'm getting a niggling feeling about which one I want to write, and I think I may know. Nonetheless, I would REALLY appreciate suggestions. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I like all these ideas... 1 and 2 most. I vote 2... I have a couple of ideas I'm debating too.

    ReplyDelete