Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 12, 2010

Poem/Ritual Chant/Prayer

This is a poem I wrote this evening. The first four lines, however, are not mine. They were written by George John Whyte-Melville. A facebook friend of mine who's a photographer included them on his deviant art page with a very beautiful photograph, and that got me thinking. In light of the recent passing of my Grandpa, I decided to write a Samhain chant.
Photo found here: http://3feathers.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d32dmbr. Be warned, it has mammaries.
Autumn Chant


Falling leaf and fading tree,
Lines of white in a sullen sea,
Shadows rising on you and me;
Shadows rising on you and me;
Mosaics of color on frosted earth lay,
Dancing through air of the chilly day.
The sun of the summer can no longer stay,
Time for the flutes of Autumn to play.

Autumn wind, cold and free,
Entwined in the arms of the sleeping tree,
Make me the person I long to be;
Show me the people I long to see;
Out in the chilly night I spy,
The faces that leave, the loved ones that die.
Yet for us there is no need to cry.
This is their night, though we’ve bid them goodbye.


Hush! A call from worlds away,
Softly leads us to the winter gray.
“Listen!” it whispers. “Hear what I say!”
Love grows in the earth, slow though it may.
So take the halves of the house of red,
And in the black ground make them a bed.
As the Mother’s life is into them fed,
Through this New Year may we all be led.

1 comment: