Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 7, 2010

...?

So last night I went to an old friend's baby shower. It was up in my old stomping grounds, about half an hour north of where I live now. I had a lot of fun, as did Mo. I was going to give my friend Raphael a ride home afterward. So we got into my car and decided to get dinner at a local drive-in burger joint. It also has a dining room.

Anyway, we walked in there, and the manager of the place kept talking like Raphael was taking Mo and I on a date. Raphael is one of the gayest men I know. He paints his nails turquoise and emulates the Lady Chablis, for fuck's sake. So that was funny. And then, Owner Dude made a comment about how, "us girls should have another man with us."..... ok.

"We so don't need a man," I quietly remarked to Mo.

Later, after we had our food, he asked us where we were coming from. I answered, "we were just at a baby shower." And then he asked us where we'd be going.

"We're going to go turning tricks on 25th street after this. We really are living in cardboard boxes on the road to perdition," I wanted to say, deadpan, as if I were serious. Instead, I told him we'd be going home.

As we were leaving, Owner Dude looked at Mo and I and said, "Are you two related? Or are you just really good friends?"

Nope. We fuck each other, sir, I thought. Of course, we do more together than fuck each other; we love, support, and take care of one another, but I was going for shock value in my head.

Mo, ever more courteous than I am, said, "Friends. Have a good night." Or some such thing. And you know what? Friends is true. Mo and I ARE the best of friends.

I'm not sure what the Owner Dude's deal was. Was he saying that Mo and I were too old to still be unmarried? Was he trying to make us feel guilty for being female and being together? Either way, his statements are inconsequential. They're just bewildering and slightly amusing.

I'm beginning to think that, "Are you two sisters? You look alike." or "Are you two related?" is code for "Please tell me you're not lesbians." here in Zion. And it's just funny because we do not look alike at all.

Either way, that was one bizarre experience... but the food was TASTY!

1 comment:

  1. Some people and their closed minds... *shakes head*

    You guys don't look anything alike.

    ReplyDelete