Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I have been tagged...

...and what that means is that I have an opportunity to talk about myself. I never do that. Ha. This took me a week to write, but it's finally here!

1. I am planning going to into anthropology. Guess that's evident in the title of the blog. I particularly want to study religions and the development of neopagan movements, as well ritual pain infliction.

2. I grew up all over the place. As a result, the oldest friend I have that I still see on a semi-regular basis I have known for 7 years. It may seem like a while, but I know people who've had friends for 10 or 15.

3. I don't understand it when people consciously choose not to be self-aware. Knowing yourself is very important, in my opinion. So is loving yourself.

4. I just started a new job as a figure model. I've been modeling for a year now, but a private studio with about four artists was hiring. The work is more consistent than modeling for the group on campus, and pays just as well. I did my first night, and it was great. Will be going back for sure.

5. I feel like one of the most innocent people in the world and one of the most jaded simultaneously. I am not naive; I understand the way much of the world works, but sometimes I wonder how I'm not bitter yet.

6. I am the middle child. There seems to be something about middle children in our society that makes us predisposed to getting walked all over and generally being unappreciated by our families... until it finally manages to sink in that you're the only person who EVER helps out around the house, the only person who cares and shows it. Or maybe that's just an empath thing.

7. I'm empathic. It really sucks when I'm trying to do homework and somebody comes home all stressed out. I have usually have a drink in those situations, or I relocate. (Which totally throws off my groove, man.)

8. I LOVE wine. Reds are my calling, but I like some whites. I detest blushes. They're weak , wannabe reds.

9. If it's not wine, it's a margarita. With salt.

10. While we're on the subject of imbibing, I drink lots of coffee. Caramel machiattos are my vice.

11. People who act like they're entitled to receive my help on various school-related things piss me off. Have the courtesy to ask. I will most likely always say yes, but don't skip the asking part and go straight to the "yes" part.
12. I feel like school has made me into a social nincompoop. I mean, I go out. I have my fun and see people, but I don't know what's going on in their lives very much. I don't know who's dating whom, or who's friends with whom. And unfortunately, I don't have enough time or energy to find out. Mo says that I've prioritized. I say that I'm socially stunted. I feel so disconnected from the world sometimes, and I very much dislike it, but it doesn't seem like there's much I'll be able to do about it. Not until May, at least.

13. The world has, also, turned into a big project for me. It's all a research project, instead of an experience. Everybody I meet is part of a data set. (it's not like I collect info on people and write it down in my little notebook, but I'm constantly trying to find cultural implications in people's behavior.) I don't know if I even know how to be friends with somebody anymore, but I REALLY want to try. Is this something every anthropologist goes through at one time or another?

14. I'd say that most social activity I engage in is part of the "learn to be a friend again" attempts. Somehow, my brain ain't routed that way no more.

15. I yearn to be trilingual. I want to learn Greek and Russian. Russian is more of a priority, though, because I plan to study Russians eventually.

16. I'm very excited to go to Greece and Turkey in May. It's a school trip. I'll be learning a great deal about the Byzantine Empire. After that, all my coursework will be done. I'll just have to complete my research journal and a paper for it.

17. I love to Greek dance. I used to do it at the local Greek festival. I'm planning on finding little folk bars in Greece so I can do the kalamatiano like a native!

18. I believe very strongly that the dead come back to visit us. They don't haunt us, and they give us time to grieve for them. they just come back and check up on us from time to time, protect us from harm.

19. I've been falling asleep in class since I was 12. Last semster was the first time in 10 years that I didn't fall asleep regularly.
20. I hate things that make a ticking noise at equal intervals. Like watches and metronomes. They drive me fucking bonkers.
21. I feel like my life lacks a sense of community. Although I once felt at home in the local pagan group, I now feel estranged. Pagan Coffee has turned into a discourse on power, a pissing contest. It's all about energy vampirism these days. There's just no room for us Cosmos-loving daywalkers. And the anthro club here at school is populated with people I don't like to be around. It's sad. And although the gay community is a community, gay men and gay women are so different. I just don't feel at home among gay men.
22. I wish I had more lesbian/girl-loving female friends. It's not that I don't love my non-lesbian friends. I do. But sometimes, I just want to be around other people who are like me. Hence, the community statement made previously.
23. Once upon a time, I wrote fiction.
24. I also wanted to be an opera singer. Now I just wish I had ANY opportunity to sing.

25. I take myself way to seriously sometimes and I'm working on lightening up. I've made some serious progress since the age of 8, though. :-)

1 comment:

  1. 26. I hate it when painstaking formatting efforts are unsuccesful. :-P

    ReplyDelete