Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 8: Letter to my favorite internet friend

This friend is a person I know in real life, but only knows me online as my internet persona. She is an old friend who I am (possibly irrationally) afraid wouldn't add me to her cyberspace whatever if she knew it was actually me. Go figure. If she reads this, she may figure it out, but I doubt that she reads it.

Dear Annika,

I guess this doesn't count if I know you in real life, but you don't know you know me in real life, so I guess it does. I realize it's kind of stalker-ish to do this, and for that, I'm sorry. But I miss you, I think about you often, and I want to know how you're doing.

You were my best friend my freshman year. You helped me get through that hellish time of my life, and you helped me learn about myself. For that, I will forever be thankful. I still recall our shared geekiness and our late-night walks to 7-11, the graveyard, and the gazebo with fondness and nostalgia. I'm a different person now, as I am certain you are, and I can't help but wonder if the people we've become would be such good friends as our selves of 5 years ago were. As I grow older, I feel the strain that distance puts on friendships more acutely. I always knew it existed, but now it seems to matter more. Perhaps that's because it's difficult to maintain friendships as an adult, anyhow. I wish the physical distance between us were smaller, as well as the emotional distance.

Love,
Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment