Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Woman Crush

So, I've finally developed a crush on somebody again. And here's the strange thing. I've never met this person or spoken with this person. Who is it?

Her name is Margot Weiss, and she's an anthropologist who's stuff I've been reading. She did most of her field work on the BDSM community, and on SM play as an act which dissipates societal tension. It's very interesting stuff and she seems to work within the theoretical framework that (vernacularly) rocks my socks off. She sited an essay by Clifford Geertz about the Balinese cockfight several times. It's a very amusing essay, and works with the concept of symbol and metaphor within society. I have a total intellectual hard-on for that sort of thing.

Ok, so it's more of an OMG-she's-awesome woman-crush than a romantic crush. But still. I would probably not be able to talk if she suddenly walked into my office. And I might swoon a little bit.

Unfortunately, she teaches at a university that only has an anthro undergrad program, but I'm reading her PhD dissertation right now, and so I'm also looking into where she studied as a grad student. If she could apply the theoretical framework of "safe" and "accepted" anthropology to a topic that is so taboo (even in academic circles) and have that research approved by her advisers and published in Anthropologica, then perhaps that school is worth applying to.

No comments:

Post a Comment